Elizabeth "Beth" Sweigart
AKC judge, breeder, retired professional handler
Hometown: Lynbrook, NY
Astrological sign: Aries
1. Do you have any dog-show superstitions?
The one that stands out most in my mind and that I have tried to follow over the years is one that Glorvina Schwartz told me years and years ago: Never wear red when you’re showing dogs; it will mean you’ll get a red ribbon. I have adhered to that over the years, and I think people remember rarely seeing me in red.
2. TV-show guilty pleasure?
“Jeopardy” and “Midsomer Murders.”
3. If you were president of AKC for one day, what would you do?
Make fewer dog shows.
4. Most valued material possession?
5. What is something no one would guess about you?
I like the smell of horses and wet Labradors.
6. Who would you compare yourself to?
I never thought about it. I’m just me.
7. What are you “famous” for?
I think probably having lots of shoes. Ferragamos in particular.
8. What website do you visit most often?
I don’t do websites.
9. What was more memorable, your most satisfying win or disappointing defeat? And what was it?
I think my first group win at Westminster was both my most memorable and my most satisfying. We had just started showing Jake the Irish Water Spaniel Mallory Triple Expectation, but Miss McDonald found him, and he went on to be top Sporting dog that year and won the group again the following year.
10. What do you wish someone would ask you?
I would really like someone to ask to be my PA just so they could enjoy my company.